Okay, so there is a 2.8kg, 2 week old baby in with apnea spells. MRI shows minor infarct to parts of the brain, otherwise within the normal limits; truly, she looks like a healthy baby. (and let me tell you, she CRIES & POOPS like a healthy baby!)
However, for some reason during/after all feedings she totally checks out and tries to die on me! (5 times last night). She'd brady down into the 70's (normal is 120-180 typically for neonates) and saturations would PLUMMET within seconds to the 50's (and yah, normal is 95-100%)! Her eyes would roll back in her head, be totally unresponsive, blue lips, dusky skin and limp.
Lets just say vigorous stimulation was applied with O2 blow-by several times. And with that, thankfully, she'd come back to life all disoriented and exhausted. Crazy baby.
Yesterday they did a video EEG on her and captured a good spell during the test; they decided she only had central apnea. (I say Bull-crap)
So that was baby number 1. My 2nd baby recently received a tracheostomy. Last night, after a feeding, my preceptor & I decided to change his trach ties and clean the site. (Ok, lets back track, TRACHS are the only thing that made me almost ralph back in nursing school--). So as I'm cleaning the site, he starts to get all worked up and decides to PUKE up his food thru the trach site like projectile vomit across the room. Luckily & amazingly, he seemed to miss my scrub top by like 5cm, or else I would have been going home smelling like curdled milk. Gross.
Needless to say, he was a bundle of joy.
Happy weekend to all!
2 comments:
hihi laura
sounds like a busy life - or work day, i should say...
congrat. on completing the orientation, it's scary to be on your own... but i know you can do it...
me? i don't even know what i am doing at this point, sigh~~ i might make some big changes in my life, this is all i can tell you at this point...
we'll keep in touch...
take care, happy 2009
Wow, sounds like a hard night. I'm glad you "survived." I'm sure you did a great job.
Post a Comment